Safe practices with your garage door should be done every day. The Door and Access Systems Manufacturers Association (DASMA) offers some garage door safety guidelines to keep yourself, your family, and your property safe.
Garage Door Safety Guidelines From the DASMA
- DO NOT STAND OR WALK UNDER A MOVING GARAGE DOOR
- If a garage door is in motion, wait until it is completely open before walking under it. Do not play “beat the door” games or duck under a moving garage door to get into or out of your garage. Doing so can cause serious injury.
- DO NOT LET CHILDREN PLAY WITH TRANSMITTERS OR REMOTES
- Electronics and pushing buttons may be fun for children to play with, but a garage door remote is one thing they should never toy with. They could inadvertently close the door on a car, person, or pet as well as themselves. Be sure to keep remotes in a safe place that children cannot reach.
- INSTALL PUSH BUTTON CONTROLS OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN
- For the same reason a child should not play with a door remote, they should also not have access to the push-button keypad.
- KEEP YOUR EYES ON YOUR DOOR DURING OPERATION
- Never close your garage door with a remote or keypad and walk away. Always make sure the door closes completely before breaking sight with your door just in case someone or something is in the way.
- TEACH CHILDREN TO KEEP HANDS AND FINGERS AWAY FROM THE GARAGE DOOR
- Whether you open your door manually or with a motor, never let children put their hands or fingers near a moving door. They could get trapped in the hinges, between the sections, in the tracks etc. and become seriously injured. Make sure children know to stay a safe distance from a moving garage door at all times.
Click here for a print out of the guidelines listed above from DASMA
Looking for More Garage Door Safety Tips or General Information on Garage Doors?
Arm-R-Lite got its start manufacturing high-quality glass garage doors more than 50 years ago. Since then, their welded aluminum and glass garage doors have become the number one choice among architects for their strength, quality, beauty, and longevity. Their contacts consist of thousands of reputable garage door dealers from all over the country. For more information on their products and services, you can give them a call at (800)554-5816 or just go visit the website.