If you’re in need of a new overhead garage door, you want to be sure that you choose the correct size. Not everyone knows how to go about doing so. Below is a guide to help you choose the best overhead garage door size for your home.
Tips for Choosing Your Overhead Garage Door Size
Ask yourself a some questions:
- Are you framing in an existing garage opening or completely building a new shed which will have a garage door?
- Whatever the case may be, before flipping through the catalogues to decide on a material, consider what you need to understand about your garage space.
- Knowing how to measure for your garage door is critical and can help you make better decisions and avoid problems along the way.
Standard overhead garage door size options to consider:
- Leading manufacturers typically sell doors in widths ranging from eight to 20 feet. However, not too many eight-foot-wide doors are currently getting installed in newer homes as new houses are typically built with the bigger vehicle size in mind.
- Standard heights of garage doors are more limited and range between seven and eight feet tall.
How to measure for garage doors:
The easiest way to determine the size you need for your new garage door is to measure the exiting one. If you don’t have a door and need to measure the space, follow these steps:
- Measure width and height of the door opening. This will determine the size of door needed.
- Measure the clearance (or nearest obstruction) on the left and right of the door opening from the inside.
- Measure the headroom. This is the distance between the top of the door opening to the garage ceiling, which is an important measurement to consider as different openers and springs require a varying number of headroom space.
- Measure the backroom or depth of area. This is the distance from the garage door wall opening to the back or rear of the garage or nearest obstruction.
- This is where the hardware or opener will extend.
- Rule of thumb is to add 18 inches to the door height as a backroom requirement.
- Remember the base. A clean and level garage base is a plus, otherwise you may need to invest more to level the garage prior to installing your garage door.
Looking for the Perfect Overhead Garage Door Size for Your Home?
Arm-R-Lite got its start manufacturing high quality gas station garage doors more than 60 years ago. Since then, our welded aluminum and glass garage doors have become the number one choice among architects for their strength, quality, beauty, and longevity. Arm-R-Lite is the only glass garage door manufacturer that produces a welded frame. The most common construction method uses thru-bolts to hold sections together which sag and separate over time, affecting curb appeal and reducing the performance life of the sections and door. Welded sections never separate and will outperform thru bolted doors year after year for decades! Our dealer/installer network consist of thousands of reputable garage door dealers from all over the country. If you are interested in even more information on our overhead glass garage doors and other glass garage door products and services, you can give us a call at (800)554-5816 or visit our website.